In my family we will pretty much put a fried egg over any left overs the next morning. Leftover steak and onions? Put an egg on it. Leftover sausage and onion pizza? Heat it up in a frying pan and put an egg on it. You get the idea. This open-faced sandwich is a healthy version of an egg and cheese sandwich and much better than eating a slice of leftover pizza for breakfast. This recipe uses half the bread, very little cheese, and no fatty bacon sausage or other meat. If you take out the toast you can have a low carb option and sit the egg on just the bed of spinach. I also don’t use any butter. When tomatoes are in season, I will add a nice thick slice of a juicy red tomato under the egg.
- 1 Egg
- Handful of spinach
- Tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Few dashes of frank’s hot sauce
- Whole wheat bread, toasted
- Light olive oil in your misto
- Spray a small non stick pan with olive oil using your misto. Put the pan on high heat. Add the spinach, with salt, pepper and a dash of garlic powder and let it cook for a minute. Set aside.
- Spray your pan again if necessary. Turn to med-high heat. Crack one egg into your pan and let cook. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. After about 2 minutes, using a spatula, flip the egg to finish for another minute.
- Put your piece of toast on your plate and add the spinach on top. Sprinkle in feta cheese and place the egg on top. Add a few dashes of hot sauce and you’re ready to dig in.
- Grab your fork!
Another great option for this dish. Have some left over tomato sauce? Top your egg with tomato sauce and parmesan cheese (instead of feta). If you had a fresh slice of mozzarella cheese that would be delicious on top the toast as well. Sprinkle some fresh chopped basil on top and you have yourself a delicious Italian breakfast. This may sound weird to you, but trust me, it’s fantastic.