Sometimes you want a big bowl of pasta but you’re trying to lose a few LBs. These are tough times for foodies like me. However, Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi has made what would otherwise be a heavy high carb meal- much better for you. The gnocchi is surprisingly filling and as long as you cook it correctly and have a flavorful sauce or topping, it will not disappoint. The key is to ignore Trader Joe’s instructions on the bag. You have to saute in a non stick pan in olive oil. You cannot steam them or they turn to mush. (I’ve also heard baking is a good trick but I haven’t tried that method yet.)
- 2 bags cauliflower gnocchi (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 lb of uncased organic Italian sausage
- 1 can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (I used orange but whatever you prefer will work)
- 1-2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Fennel seed
- 1 – 28 oz can San Marzano crushed tomatoes
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Fresh grated grana padano cheese (or whatever parmesan you like)
Directions:Sauté onions for 2-3 minutes in a little bit of olive oil.
Add in the pepper and garlic. Stir and let cook another 2 minutes.
Then add in your sausage and brown. Use a wooden spoon to break up the sausage while it cooks.
Season with red pepper flakes and fennel.
Once your sausage is browning and mostly cooked through, pour in your can of crushed tomatoes and season with salt. Lower the heat to simmer. Option to add a bit of water to loosen the sauce.
While your sauce is simmering, put a non stick pan on med to high heat. Add a little oil and put in frozen gnocchi.
Keep tossing in pan until they start to brown.
When they are mostly seared on the outside, pour the gnocchi into your sauce.
Let the gnocchi simmer in the sauce for 5 minutes at least. Then you are ready to eat!
Top your plate with fresh herbs and cheese. Nomnomnom.
Nosh n mangia.