Cauliflower is all the rage lately on Pinterest. I’ve looked on with skeptical curiosity but finally decided to take the plunge given our goal to keep eating healthy. I will say making this crust was a bit more work than I expected, but, it really, truly was delicious. My crust was a bit soft in the center so I think I could have cooked the crust a few more minutes or the tomato sauce was too much to handle (I’ll have to make a few more before I can submitt a perfect recipe to you all). But if you are gluten free and cutting back on carbs (or want to hide some veggies from your kids) this recipe is a great option. It can be fun to do as a family, too!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 egg
- Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Dried or Fresh Chopped Oregano
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional for some spice)
- 1 TBSP flax seed meal (optional)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- Few TBSPs of fresh grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Put your pizza stone in the oven at 450 degrees.
- Place your cauliflower in the blender and pulse until it looks like rice or some people say, snow.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 4 minutes. It will come out piping hot. Dump the mixture on to a clean dish towel and when it’s cooled enough squeeze all the water out–this will take you several minutes. You will be shocked by the amount of water that comes out!
- In a mixing bowl add the egg, cheeses, and seasonings. (I have used fresh parsley and the spicy oregano I grow in my garden) Incorporate the cauliflower and mix together–use your hands!
- Roll it into a ball and place on top of a piece of parchment paper.
- Using your hands press down on the “dough” flattening it out into the shape of a pizza. I used my fingers to create a crust around the edge.
- Place the crust on the parchment paper on the pizza stone and cook for 15 minutes
- I topped mine with some leftover homemade sauce, caramelized onions, reduced fat mozzarella cheese, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and of course some spicy soppressata.
- After your toppings are done, bake the pizza until the cheese is bubbly and browning. NOTE: let your pizza cool and set a few minutes before you cut into it or it will be messy and more difficult to pick up a slice and eat it. Buon Appetito!
Here’s another version I did with zuchinni, tomatoes and shrimp.
2 Comments Add yours
It is actually really amazing. I know the owner of a Italian Restaurant in San Jose who experimented with me once and my goodness, it was amazing. Yum!
Such a good idea!! I’m copying and pasting this in my notes, so that I can make this by Friday!!