Garlic bread is simple and delicious comfort food. No matter how you make it, garlic with bread and oil or butter is going to be amazing. But, there is a way to fancy it up a bit if you are so inclined. Where we grew up there was an Italian market where we always ordered garlic bread which came with pesto, roasted red peppers and fresh mozzarella. Since we don’t live there any more we decided to make it at home. This quick and simple recipe can be used for an appetizer or side dish to compliment any meal. This would be a great addition to your Christmas Eve menu considering the beautiful colors and wreath like appearance. Just be sure to buy quality ingredients to make this appetizer pop!
- Fresh Italian round bread
- Toasted pine nuts
- Olive Oil
- Parmesan Cheese (the good stuff)
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (the good stuff)
- Salt & Pepper
- Place basil, pine nuts, olive oil in a small blender and blend until smooth. Add high quality parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and pulse until combined. Be careful not to over heat the cheese (your bledner will cook it). Brush the pesto on your bread evenly. You can also buy a fresh pesto from a local Italian market.
- Cut up the roasted red peppers and place around the bread.
- Top with mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven at about 400 until the cheese is bubbly.
- Cut up in pieces and mangia!