This is my “spur of the moment” version of the old Italian dish. Delicious and healthy! Serve over rice or pasta, or add potatoes in the dish! This recipe is based off what I had in my fridge one night. I really wish I had mushrooms to add so make sure you include them when you try it! I didn’t have fresh herbs (shame on me) but fresh oregano or parsley will add a nice finishing touch!
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Bell Peppers
- Red onion (use whatever you prefer, this is what I had)
- Can chopped tomatoes (you should always have these stored in the pantry- San Marzano are the best!)
- Olives (I recommend cutting the olives in slices but since my boyfriend hates them I was nice and left them whole for easy discarding)
- Heat up olive oil in hot saute pan. Add seasoned chicken breasts (salt & pepper) and brown on each side. Set chicken aside. (Doesn’t have to be cooked through)
- Add peppers, onions and garlic to pan to saute. Pour in can of chopped tomatoes. Let simmer.
- Put the chicken back in the sauce and cover. Let cook so flavors meld and chicken cooks through. If you have really thick chicken breasts, I recommend baking them in the oven when you add them back in. They will stay moist and the end product is delicious!
Picture shown served over rice.