It’s warm cheesy comfort food with a blanket of sauce and more cheese. What’s not to love? I have several different recipes for them – red sauce and green – but this one is a quick and healthy weeknight version. It doesn’t require a ton of ingredients and you get your protein and veggies all in one dish. These are high in protein, low in carbs, low in fat and really if you eat 2 should be about 450 calories. That’s pretty good for dinner! But it all depends on much cheese you pile in there.
I’ve made these with charred peppers and onions instead of zucchini and spinach as well. This can really be a meal for whatever you have on hand.
- 1 package organic skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jalapeno (Or use bell pepper if you prefer)
- 1 jar Trader Joes salsa verde
- 2 Fresh chopped scallions
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 zucchini diced
- 4 Skip the Sandwich whole grain low carb Tortillas
- Manchego cheese (or Mexican blend if you prefer)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken breasts in a pan with 1/3 of the salsa and let cook on low.
- Add chopped jalapeño and 1 scallion.
- Let simmer until mostly cooked. Use two forks to gently pull apart chicken.
- Add zucchini and let simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Assemble the tortilla with spinach, chicken mixture and top with fresh grated manchego cheese.
- Add a little mozzarella on top.
- Roll the tortilla up and place seem side down in a casserole dish. Repeat until you use up all your fillings.
- Cover with remaining sauce and more cheese.
- Place in the oven for about 20 minutes covered. Then take foil off and broil the top until bubbly.
- Take them out and top with the avocado, remaining scallions and fresh cilantro.
- As a topping I also made a mix of sour cream, 1 avocado, juice of half a lime and fresh cilantro. Optional to add some hot sauce