I love burgers especially those huge juicy, cheesy ones topped with tons of fun things! However, I am always willing to try new things–especially if means a healthy alternative. In anticipation of our vacation next week, I decided to stick with low carb and low-calorie meals. For that reason I opted to rest the burger on a bed of kale and spinach but I this would be phenomenal on a bun! I tried black bean burgers on their own which were delicious but the quinoa makes the burger a bit more hearty and filling. As far as toppings go, the options are endless. I went with a small scoop of guacamole and some tomatillo salsa I had on hand. You could do caramalized onions, a fried egg, sautéed mushrooms, cheese, and much much more.
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup quinoa
- bell peppers (I used baby red, orange and yellow for nice color), chopped
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper for heat (optional)
- 1 lime
- 1 egg
- 3 scallions, chopped (you can use onion instead)
- 2-3 chopped garlic cloves
- Avocado for topping
- Salt & Pepper
- Chili powder (1/2 – 1 TBSP)
- Cumin (1 teaspoon)
- Cook 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups liquid (water or chicken broth)
- Strain the can of black beans and place in a bowl. Using a fork, mash up the beans so it will form into a burger. If you need to add a splash of water it will help the process along.
- Add the chopped ingredients to your bean mixture. Squeeze the juice of one lime into the ingredients and if you like lime zest like I do, add some to the bowl as well.
- Season with chili powder, salt, pepper and cumin.
- Add the cooked quinoa and egg to the bowl and mix well. I made 2 very large burgers with these ingredients. It might be more manageable to make 4 smaller patties – but it’s your call.
- Heat a flat pan to medium high heat and spray with olive oil.
- Place your burgers on the pan and cook until you crisp up each side and the ingredients head through (about 4-5 minutes per side)
- While they are cooking place half an avocado in a bowl with fresh lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well to place on top of your burger.
- Serve your healthy and flavor packed black bean burgers!