Two cultures collide when I use Mexican flavors and wrap them up inside a Chinese wonton. It just works! I created this recipe for a Super Bowl appetizer and they were a lot of fun to make. The nice thing about them is you can substitute with any meat, cheese and/or vegetables you like!
- Wonton wrappers
- Red Onion
- Tomatillo pepper
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Cream cheese (about 1/4 of a cup)
- Asiago cheese
- Lime (juice and zest)
- Ancho chili powder
- 1 slice bacon
- Olive oil
- Saute onion, garlic, jalapenos, and tomatillo peppers for a few minutes. Add s&p.
- Take chorizo out of the casing and add to pan.
- Let ingredients cook for a few moments, add ancho chili powder, salt, pepper, the juice and zest from 1/2 lime.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few moments in the food processor. In the mean time cook a slice of bacon on the pan. Soak up any excess grease. Add chorizo mixture, bacon and fresh cilantro in the food processor and blend together.
- Remove from blender and put in a bowl. Add both cheeses and mix well. Keep in mind you can use any cheese you like.
- Take out a wonton wrapper and place 1 spoon full in the center. Dip your finger in water and wet the edges. Then fold it in half.
- For some texture, you can use a fork around the edges of the pillow.
- After you have finished assembling your pillows, spray well with olive oil on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven until brown (about 15-20 minutes). Of course you can fry them in some oil but I always prefer the healthier option. They still come out hot and crispy!
If you would like a dip for these Mexican Pillows try mixing avocado with sour cream and add some spices! It provides a cool relief to the hot and spicy pillows. Enjoy!